Tuxford is a small market-town, in a parish of the same name, in the South Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, 137 miles from London, 28 from Nottingham, 12 from Newark, and 7 from Retford; situated on an eminence, near the banks of a small stream running into the Trent, and on the high road from London to York.
The town is neatly built, clean, and much improved in its appearance since it suffered by fire, in 1702, when the greatest part of it burnt down.
The only building at present that deserves particular notice is a good free school, founded by Charles Read, Esq. with an endowment of £50 per annum for the master, and £40 extra for teaching the children of the town, and the sons of four decayed clergymen: the mayor and aldermen of Newark, with six of the neighbouring gentlemen, are the trustees.
The church is a small structure, not deserving of particular notice; the benefice is a rectory, in the incumbancy of the Rev. B. Elliott.
Many hops are grown round here, which, with the malting concerns, are the principal trades of the place, and its thoroughfare situation much conduces to its welfare. A small market is held on Monday; and the fairs are May 12th, and September 23rd and 28th, for cattle, sheep, pigs, &c. The population of the parish consists of about 1,000 inhabitants.
East Markham, two miles north from Tuxford, and West Markham about one mile and a half northwest of the same town, are both in the same division and hundred as Tuxford. East Markham is also called Great Markham, and contains a large church, and nearly 800 inhabitants.
West or Little Markham has a charity school, with a population of about 200 persons.
Pigots Commercial Directory of Nottinghamshire 1828-9
Back to top
Created 27th June 1998 by Webmaster - updated 3rd November 2000